Daytona Beach Embezzlement Lawyers
Aggressive Representation for Embezzlement Charges in Florida
Embezzlement is considered a serious white-collar crime that can result in severe consequences, both personally and professionally. If you or someone you know is facing embezzlement charges in Florida, pursuing the guidance and representation of experienced legal professionals is crucial. At Buckmaster & Ellzey, our embezzlement attorneys in Daytona Beach are here to provide the experienced legal counsel you need during this challenging time.
Call Buckmaster & Ellzey today at (888) 785-6548 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our embezzlement attorneys in Daytona Beach.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement is a theft offense when an individual entrusted with someone else's property or funds misappropriates or unlawfully takes those assets for personal gain. This crime often occurs in the context of employment, where an employee abuses their position of trust to steal money or property belonging to their employer.
Embezzlement can take various forms, including:
- Funds Misappropriation: This involves taking money from a company's accounts, such as skimming cash, manipulating financial records, or diverting funds for personal use.
- Property Theft: Embezzlement can also involve stealing physical assets or property, such as office equipment, supplies, or inventory.
- Fraudulent Transactions: Some embezzlement cases involve fraudulent transactions, like forging checks or unauthorized electronic transfers.
- Credit Card or Identity Theft: Embezzlement can extend to credit card or identity theft if an individual uses another person's financial information for personal gain.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in Florida?
The penalties for embezzlement in Florida differ depending on the value of the stolen property or funds and the case's specific circumstances. In general, embezzlement is classified as theft, and the consequences can be severe. Here's an overview of the potential penalties you may face if convicted of embezzlement:
- Misdemeanor Embezzlement: Penalties may include up to one year in county jail and fines of up to $1,000.
- Felony Embezzlement: The severity of the felony (ranging from third-degree to first-degree) depends on the value of the assets stolen. Penalties can include substantial prison sentences and hefty fines, with first-degree felonies carrying the most severe consequences.
In addition to the criminal penalties, embezzlement convictions can have a long-lasting effect on your personal and professional life. You may face difficulty finding employment, obtaining loans, or securing housing with a criminal record.
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: To convict you of embezzlement, the prosecution must be able to prove that you had the intention to commit the crime. If we can demonstrate that you lacked intent or had a legitimate reason for your actions, it may weaken the case against you.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, embezzlement charges may arise from mistaken identity or misidentification. Our legal team can investigate and present evidence to establish your innocence.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights during the investigation, we can challenge the admissibility of evidence obtained unlawfully.
- Procedural Errors: Our attorneys are skilled at identifying procedural errors or weaknesses in the prosecution's case that can be used to your advantage.
- Negotiation and Settlement: In some instances, it may be in your best interest to negotiate a plea bargain or settlement to reduce charges and penalties.
Contact Our Embezzlement Attorneys in Daytona Beach Today
At Buckmaster & Ellzey, our Daytona Beach embezzlement lawyers are devoted to defending your rights and helping you navigate the legal process effectively. We understand the unique complexities of embezzlement cases and will work tirelessly to build a robust defense on your behalf. Let us put our legal experience to work for you, fighting to protect your future and reputation.
Contact Buckmaster & Ellzey today to get started on your defense with our Daytona Beach embezzlement lawyers.